Low Back and Neck Pain

About Low Back and Neck Pain

It is estimated that only 15% of all low back pain has an identifiable anatomic explanation. The other 85% is identified as non-specific low back pain.  In some cases patients consider pain to be associated with an injury.  However, a specific event is only associated with the onset of pain in about one third of the cases.  That means that in majority of the cases of lower back pain stems from an unknown cause. For all low back pain, but particularly those with non-specific low back pain, it is important to identify pain intensity and impaired function. This is done through a thorough history intake by the therapist followed by a complete evaluation.  Once the findings are tabulated the physical therapist will formulate a complete care plan.   Generally speaking those suffering from acute and sub-acute low back pain should stay active and continue activities of daily living within the limits permitted by their symptoms.

HOW WE CAN HELP

Our physical therapists will instruct on pain and activity management including positional and exercise components, as well as work recommendations or limitations.   We may also make recommendations including medications and/or other medical consults.

In the below instances, follow up with physician and further diagnostic testing may be necessary and recommended.

  • If pain doesn’t seem to be getting better after two to three weeks or worsens
  • Pain traveling down the leg below the knee
  • Leg, foot, groin or rectal area feels numb
  • If pain traveling down the arm to elbow wrist or hand
  • Loss of strength at the foot/ankle wrist or grip
  • Unexplained fever, nausea/vomiting, stomach aches, weakness or sweating
  • Loss of control of urine or stool
  • Pain is so intense you can’t move around or get comfortable
  • Redness or swelling on the back neck or spine.

Experiencing Low Back or Neck Pain?

Call Now for an Appointment.

(301) 417-2652

Prescription/Referral Not Required. We Accept Most Insurance Plans.